Monday, December 12, 2011

Background info on Beverly Jean Acklin; born about 1941

Recently I received word that Beverly had died, but the person did



not know when, where, or why. I had last spoken to her when she



lived in or near Boulder, Colorado, in October 1983. She came



to Ottawa, KS, in 1959 (following high school graduation in a city



west of Portland, Oregon) and lived with her Grandmother in her



home in Ottawa. She attended OU for two years, 1959-1960 and1960-1961. I am Llewellyn (Llew) Scott Walker. I was in my Jr.



year at OU, when Rev. Richard Copeland (the Rev. came later)



introduced me to her in the fall of 1959. We were engaged in



June 1960 and married in the First Baptist Church of Ottawa on



Friday, June 2, 1961. I graduated June 4, 1961. In the fall, we



moved to Berkeley, California, where I attended Berkeley Baptist



Divinity School, an American Baptist Seminary near the campus



of the University of California, Berkeley. She worked as a



secretary at UC-Berkeley. We separated in early 1962. Later



that spring, I returned to my hometown of Rockford, Illinois.



The next year, in February-March of 1962. she asked if I could



get a divorce in Rockford, since California law required a one



year waiting period. That divorce was granted in March 1962.



She married a fellow who was then stationed in the US Coast Guard Station at Treasure Island in San Francisco Bay. They



had two sons. When she called me when I was the Pastor in Delavan, Wisconsin, in October 1983, she said she had been divorced, and later married an older man. They had moved to Boulder, Colorado. That%26#39;s the last I had heard from her as well



as about her. Rich Copeland suggested that I write to Garnett



to see if someone there might have news regarding her life after October 1983.



Having retired in March 1995, after 18 years as Pastor of the



First Baptist Church of Delavan, Wisconsin, my wife, Pat, and I



moved to Milwaukee in May 1995, to an apartment eight blocks



north of our older son, Scott, who lives in Wauwatosa, WI, with



his wife, Tonette, and their two sons, Matt and Alex. Last



month, our younger son, David, and his wife, Maria, moved



from Phoenix to Wauwatosa. They have two daughters, Isabella



Mia (3 years, 9 months) and Eva Paytin (four and 1/2 months).



If anyone in the Garnett area has information regarding Beverly,



I would appreciate knowing how her life progressed. She told



me in October 1983, that she had opened her life to the Lord



and found a new beginning in her life and faith as a result. She



was a very fine person.



Information can be sent to: Rev. Llewellyn (Llew) S. Walker;



7210 West Burleigh Street, Apt. 1; Milwaukee, WI 53210-1171;



Phone: (414) 871-4218 E-mail: LlewPat@sbcglobal.net



Thank you for any assistance you may be able to share with me,



and God%26#39;s blessings to you all!



Llew Walker





Background info on Beverly Jean Acklin; born about 1941


I%26#39;m not from Garnett, but know the area a bit. An archived obituary from October 2, 2003, in the Ottawa (KS) Herald shows the death of a Lela Morris of Hillsboro, Oregon, and notes that she was preceded in death by her daughter, Beverly Jean Acklin-Gustaffon [sic* - I would presume they meant to spell it %26#39;Gustafson%26#39;, as is common in the area]. I don%26#39;t readily see any other info, except that Dengel %26amp; Son Mortuary in Ottawa, KS handled the funeral arrangements for Mrs. Morris.

No comments:

Post a Comment