Monday, December 12, 2011

Cross Country Trip–Feedback on Route? (Updated/Reposted)

Based on feedback that I have received from fellow TA travelers, I have adjusted this schedule and wanted to re-post for additional feedback. I apologize for the long post (and posting it in multiple places). Not sure where to post something like this. In early April of 2008, I will start a three-week journey driving from Raleigh, NC ending in Sacramento, CA. I have bought a book called “120 Scenic Drives in America” and I am using this to help guide my route. The real purpose of the trip is to see the country, significant points of interest along the way, and just get away.

Below is what I have laid out– and is subject to additional change based on my fellow TA’s advice. I have attempted to split it up to drive around 200 miles/day. The places that seem a bit strange to stop are those places along my routes that have a TA highly rated place to stay that are in my price range (~$100/night). I frequent Hampton Inns and that class of hotel. I will need internet connectivity along the way as I will be working some. If you know of a “must see” close to my route, please let me know.

Any input or advice on my journey would be very much appreciated. I am very open to your suggestions – I have received awesome advice from you guys thus far.

Day 1: Raleigh, NC to Lewisburg, WV. One of the “scenic drives”, the Midland Trail, starts in White Sulphur Springs, WV to and goes to Charleston, WV. 244 miles.

Day 2: Lewisburg, WV to Morehead, KY. Finishes the Midland Trail. 225 miles.

Day 3: Morehead, KY to Cave City, KY. Route includes the “Bluegrass to Pennroyal” drive. 239 miles.

Day 4: Cave City, KY to Metropolis, IL. Finish the “Bluegrass to Pennroyal” drive and get a little gambling in Metropolis. 184 miles.

Day 5: Metropolis, IL to Mt. Vernon, IL via the “Shawnee Hills Scenic Byway” along the IL/KY border. 155 miles.

Day 6: Mt. Vernon, IL to Jefferson City, MO. Will start the “Missouri Rhineland” drive. 221 miles.

Day 7: Jefferson City, MO to Topeka, KS. 221 miles.

Day 8: Topeka, KS to Oklahoma City, OK. 285 miles.

Day 9: Oklahoma City, OK to Amarillo, TX. 275 miles.

Day 10: Amarillo, TX Raton, NM. 215 miles. (Via Clayon, NM to start one of the scenic drives along northern NM.)

Day 11: Raton, NM to Santa Fe, NM. 167 miles. (May stay in Albuquerque instead).

Day 12: Santa Fe, NM to Winslow, AZ. 325 miles.

Day 13 and 14: Winslow, AZ to Sedona, AZ. For two nights. (via Camp Verde). 149miles.

Day 15: Sedona, AZ to Williams, AZ early to catch the steam train to see the GC. 61 miles.

Day 16: Williams, AZ to Las Vegas, NV. Via “Route 66”. 217 miles.

Day 17: Las Vegas, NV to Stovepipe Wells, CA. 152 miles.

Day 18 Stovepipe Wells, CA to Mammoth Lake or Lee Vining, CA. 180 miles.

Day 19 and 20: Mammoth Lake or Lee Vining, CA to S. Lake Tahoe. For two nights. 138 miles.

Day 21: S. Lake Tahoe to Sacramento, CA. 110 miles.

Day 22: Fly back to NC.

Cross Country Trip%26ndash;Feedback on Route? (Updated/Reposted)

Topeka to OKC....around 5 hour drive. Do you have hotels booked? If not, be sure and check the hotels on Wanamaker Road here in Topeka which is the main hub for I-70 and I-470 then you%26#39;ll head south on I-35 to OKC. There is also an AAA office on Wanamaker so access to travel assistance if you need it while you are here.

Please feel free to send a Personal Message to me with any questions about our area since I am usually on another forum and don%26#39;t check back here often since there aren%26#39;t many posts (as you can tell). Ducky

Cross Country Trip%26ndash;Feedback on Route? (Updated/Reposted)

Day 8 ~ consider one of the scenic side roads in KS like: from Topeka, east on I40 to 177 then south through Council Grove %26amp; Cottonwood Falls (past the Tallgrass Prairie Preserve).

Day 11 ~ consider going to Santa Fe by way of 64, around Mt. Wheeler, to Taos and then taking ';The High Road to Taos'; back to Santa Fe.. very scenic.. and from Santa Fe taking 14, the ';Turquoise Trail'; through Madrid to ABQ

Of course, I love the back roads.


spbill%26#39;s ideas for day eight are good but a couple of minor corrections. Go west from Topeka on I-70 which is also US 40. You will intersect with Kansas highway 177 just west of Manhattan,KS.and you can get back on I-35 (Kansas turnpike) at Cassoday KS.and continue on to OK.City. Cottonwood Falls is worth a short stop to see the old courthouse and it also has some interesting stores. This area known as the'; Flint Hills'; is the largest area of tall grass prairie still left in the United States.


Ooops ! Thought not my first traveling mistake... I guess that%26#39;s why I like the less traveled roads.. direction doesn%26#39;t count much :)


Is there a particular reason for going to Topeka?

Consider staying in Lawrence. The next day, drive down to Baldwin City and cross to Council Grove on US-56.

This stretch is pretty interestering. Baldwin CIty, Burlingame and Council Grove are all worth investigating.,

You avoid a big stretch of dull, toll road:-)


I agree with the suggestion of staying in Lawrence vs Topeka. Lawrence is a neat college town and interesting to just go up and down their main drag of Mass.


Well Topeka is the Capitol of the State of Kansas...not that I disagree with Lawrence having nice restaurant choices since KU is there.

  • lock file
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment