Monday, December 12, 2011

Rodeos in Kansas

Anybody ever been to the great rodeos in Kansas? I%26#39;m a rodeo buff - and they have some really good ones in Kansas. Several of them are the first weekend of August - Abilene, Phillipsburg, Dodge City. Reasonably priced - great competition - good clowns and acts - and during the summer, the evenings in Kansas cool off comfortably and it%26#39;s a pleasure to sit outside under the stars and watch a rodeo!







Rodeos in Kansas


hello, sandhillsgal!



I just had to say HI cause my family lived



around the ';sandhills'; area when I was growing up. My extended family that is. My Dad and Mom moved a LOT. But I have tons of relatives in Hutchinson and West of there almost to Pratt. And I remember picking ';sandhill plums'; in the ditches along the roads. I even went to Sterling College and had ';dates'; take me out driving only to get bogged down in the sand on the back roads out there!!



Now my daughter is married to a Flint Hills Rancher West of Salina - near ';Post Rock'; Country. And we often use Abilene as a meeting place if I come get grandkids for a weekend or something. I just love ALL of Kansas (spent from age 26 to 46 in Tucson, AZ) and am so happy to be living here again. I am 53 and we have lived in Lawrence for going on 7 years, now. But we want to move West Central in a couple years.



Rodeos YEAH!! My son-in-law is an honest to gosh cowboy, building a cattle herd and ';petting'; his bulls. I am looking forward to attending rodeos again, this time with my grandchildren!! (2nd marriage for my daughter - just remarried under 2 years - they have 15, 13, 7 year old sons between



them and their own new baby girl. I love visiting out there - tiny little farm house and my Tucson raised grandsons ridin horses like they were born on them!!



My favorite Rodeo memories come from the Strong City Rodeo (south of Council Grove, just West of Emporia). We lived in Strong



City when I was little and then my first husband and I owned a house in Cottonwood Falls (1 mile S of Strong City) when my kids were little. A very fun area.



Regards,



gma rebah



Rodeos in Kansas


The rodeo in Strong City Kansas is always the first week-end in June. It is on highway U.S. 50, approx.20 miles west on Emporia. It normally is a very good rodeo and well worth the trip.




Any rodeos coming up soon near Wichita? I%26#39;ve never seen one (unless Club Rodeo counts, and that was pretty impressive!) and would love to experience one during my time in Kansas. Will be here until approx March 2008.




I%26#39;m pretty sure there%26#39;s a rodeo in Wichita in January or February. You might check on www.prorodeo.com or a Wichita event website.




3 hours drive away, and a couple of hundred feet from Kansas, the American Royal in Kansas City has Rodeos and extended horse shows over several weeks in the Fall.




Thank you - we%26#39;ll be sure to check one (or more!) out!




I like the Flint Hills Rodeo at Strong City. Best in Kansas. It is in early June, so it%26#39;s usually not too hot yet, and the grasslands are beautiful that time of year. 2008 version is, I think, June 6, 7 %26amp; 8.



Probably should check out lodging well in advance. If there%26#39;s nothing local, try Emporia to the east, and Hillsboro or McPherson to the west.




They are looking for rodeos between now and March.




We visited Cottonwood Falls yesterday and saw the Flint Hills Rodeo %26#39;stadium%26#39; - very disappointed that we probably won%26#39;t be here in June next year. Had a great day in the Flint Hills though. Thanks for posting anyway.




Was responding to Sandhillsgirl ... piping in to say I think the Flint Hills Rodeo is tops. Sorry VonTrapp isn%26#39;t going to be here there. Light-house-en Up!


  • urban decay
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment