Monday, December 12, 2011

Scenic Drives

I%26#39;m taking one of my normal and usual lunatic road trips... specifically to be in Kansas City by late afternoon October 5 (and Chicago the next night... soccer fan).





I%26#39;ve rambled through I-70 (and I-80) more than once, and wish to break up the monotony a little. My somewhat trusty Rand McNally notes scenic drives via US 36 and either US 24 or one of the state routes (don%26#39;t have the atlas with me at the moment). Please offer suggestions. Please note that I will be limiting the number of stops made, as I%26#39;m probably going to be no further than, oh, Goodland on the night of the 4th. When on the road, I%26#39;m more into the scenic than I am museums and the like, unless something exceptional is available.





I should note one thing: it%26#39;s possible I could ';sort of'; reverse the return route (currently thinking of going through South Dakota returning west, but if I end up with a need to, say, pass back through St. Louis, I might), so I could possibly take an out-of-the-way suggestion.



Scenic Drives


Yea for lunatic road trips....I live in the Metro KC area and a few years back we wanted to take a senic route and avoid I-70 towards the East side of Missouri. We took US 36 to Hannibal and really enjoyed the change of pace.





Enjoy your trip..



Scenic Drives


Howdy Pounder,



I would suggest US 36. I take this quite often.



You will not make great time, but it is not just beating down the pavemnet.



Happy trails,



SandBilly




US36, won%26#39;t be that slow. It is mostly 65mph, straight and fairly low traffic.





Interesting stops along the way include the Davis Memorial in Hiawatha http://www.kansastravel.org/davismemorial.htm and Paul Boyer Museum Of Animated Carvings in Belleville http://www.kansastravel.org/boyergallery.htm





Boyer%26#39;s creations are very cool!




I travel commercially throughout Kansas and just returned from a soujourn on US 36. It is a fairly highly traveled route from MO/KAN border to approximately Norton. I would recommend taking a diagonal at Norton and cutting Southwest from there to I-70. and from past experiences is probably better maintained than US 24 and the communities along the route offer a few more services and attractions. US 36, from my perspective, is generally much more scenic than I-70. Happy Trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment