Monday, December 12, 2011

Hwy 36

I am taking a trip WEST from the East Coast and I was wondering if ANYONE had any ideas and thoughts about using HWY 36 as my East / West travel route other than using 70.

I want to take it (HWY 36) from Indianapolis to Denver. I want to ';see'; the heartland of the country...or do I even want to go there at all.

Any help on road conditions, hotels and of course local places to eat.

Thanks,

Dave

Hwy 36

I live in Indy and drive to Kansas frequently to visit family.

Recommended stops...Hannibal, MO. I%26#39;m not so big on the Mark Twain stuff, but cute downtown shops and people are very personable. Wonderful old buildings and great views of the Mississippi at night.

If traveling though Missouri and Kansas at night in the autumn, be very careful of deer; there are not wide right-of-ways along most of US 36. Turkey are also plentiful.

For Kansas photos an off-the-beaten path stuff, I recommend www.kansasphototour.com. Go to ';click on the map'; for a preview of scenery. The ';flatlander'; is a relative, and could provide suggestions to suit your interests.

Marysville, Kansas has a nice brick downtown. Try on real western wear at Valley Vet supply on the east end of town.

This would be my suggestion for scenery...From Marysville, Kansas I would suggest driving down 77 through the Flint Hills. Manhattan, Kansas has great nightlife or you could watch the sun set at Konza Prairie near Manhattan, whichever suits. Great steakhouse in Manhattan - Little Apple Brewery. Beef out there is fresh!

Hope this helps.

Hwy 36

US 36 is a very good road through Missouri (lots of 4 lane stretches) and most of Kansas. In Western Kansas, the route becomes less heavily traveled. Around the Norton area, there is a route which cuts South to I-70. I would recommend making the cut. fyi- I-70 through Missouri is a real pain.


I think the Kansas portion of 36 would be quite interesting. I actually (and some will think this is bizarre) like the vast, open stretches of desolate prairie you%26#39;ll find as you head into Western Kansas. Many times you%26#39;ll find you have the road to yourself, and on nice crisp fall day it can be a transforming experience. I would definitely prefer it to I-70. Not for everyone though, it takes a certain type of person to appreciate it. The other poster is right about Manhattan, KS. It is actually quite a great place nestled in the Flint Hills. Idyllic college town with a lot of personality. Close by is the vast Konza Prairie, the largest expanse of remaining virgin tallgrass prairie in the U.S., which is owned by the Nature Conservancy.


Hwy 36 is in real good shape, not a lot of traffic. There are several local museums and sites including the Pawnee Indian Village west of Belleville Ks. There are fuel stops at adequate intervals as well as the geographic center of the US just a few miles from 36. The road is good to the Co. border, where it gets a little rough till you get to the Interstate.


I live about 40 miles north of Hwy 36 and I would recommend Hwy 36 over I-70. More to see! Very little traffic. And great places to stop and poke around as you travel.

Phillipsburg, Kansas - on Hwy 36 - if you need a place to eat, the Third Street Bakery has AWESOME croissants. And there is a Mexican restaurant in St. Francis, KS, which is great. It%26#39;s called Park Place. And the ice cream place in St. Francis has wonderful malts - try the strawberry malt, which has REAL strawberries in it and no ice milk.

By the way - if you are traveling in early August, Phillipsburg has a wonderful rodeo. They pack 15,000 people in over 3 nights of rodeo (population of Phillipsburg is 3,000!) and it is great entertainment! August 3-4-5, 2006, I believe.


Did you do this trip? i%26#39;m thinking of trying Colorado through Kansas on this route, primarily because I%26#39;d like to see Norton, where my great grandmother was born back in the pioneer days. The rest of the comments on the route were favorable.


Did you do this trip? i%26#39;m thinking of trying Colorado through Kansas on this route, primarily because I%26#39;d like to see Norton, where my great grandmother was born back in the pioneer days. The rest of the comments on the route were favorable.


Did you do this trip? i%26#39;m thinking of trying Colorado through Kansas on this route, primarily because I%26#39;d like to see Norton, where my great grandmother was born back in the pioneer days. The rest of the comments on the route were favorable.


I’ve often traveled Hwy 36 from about Belleville, KS to the Colorado border. Good road, not a lot of traffic. Of course, travel is slower because it’s 70 mph instead of Interstate 70, which is 75 mph. But if you want to see the country, it’s the only way to do it. Desolate, beautiful country . . . not for everyone but if you like wide open spaces and lots of elbow room and magnificent skies, it’s gorgeous.

Along the way, the geographic center of the US is located just north of Lebanon, KS, and there’s that great rodeo in Phillipsburg in early August - Kansas%26#39; Biggest Rodeo, it’s called – I think they have a website.

If you go farther than your great grandmother’s birthplace of Norton, to Oberlin, there’s a GREAT little place to eat – a former bank converted into a B%26amp;B with good food. It’s the Landmark Inn – 785-475-2340. And in Atwood, farther west of Oberlin, the old Shirley Opera House has been converted into a nice restaurant. Phone is 785-626-3740. But maybe only open on weekends? I’m not sure.

St. Francis also has a good place to eat – an ice cream place on the north side of Hwy 36, with REAL strawberry malts with chunks of strawberry! I forget the name of the place, but it’s the only one and it won’t be hard to find.

My great grandma was born in Atwood, Kansas, west of Norton, and my grandma and grandpa lived, died and were buried there so I know that part of the country and I’m in love with it. Like I said, it’s not for everyone but it can get in your blood, the beautiful skies and the extreme temps. Baxter Black, the cowboy poet said about the far off places of our nation, “not better, not worse, just a little leaner and closer to the bone.” Perfect description of north central Kansas.

I hope you go! Enjoy the trip!


babalootie,

I%26#39;ve driven about 2/3s of that route at different times. It is an easy drive.

Do you have any specific questions?

  • urban decay
  • channel
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment