Monday, December 12, 2011

Jerky in LeRoy

Found a new place (new to me) this past weekend that I recomend: Luther%26#39;s Jerky in LeRoy, Kansas.





They produce beef %26amp; buffalo sausage; beef, turkey %26amp; buffalo jerky; and buffalo pemmican. I found the pemmican to be a real standout - lean ground buffalo, spices and raisins smoked for 5 hours. It is not tough like jerky, and has a lot of flavor. Somewhat sweet.





There is a combination restaruant and convienience store, with the smokehouse in a modern building next door. The owner Martin luther is fun and glad to answer questions. There was already a group coming in for a tour, and I was allowed to attach myself to that group. Martin conducted the entire tour, including demonstrating some of the machines while riding a Segway. It was a hoot!





Jerky in LeRoy


Luther%26#39;s is still going strong ... and so is Martin (I was so disappointed that he is not The Great Reformer), but he is The Great Jerky Maker!) You can buy his jerky on his website at www.jerkyusa.com, but it%26#39;s not as much fun as going to the store. They also have smoked beef steak ... I%26#39;m not sure what they call it, but it%26#39;s more like a squared-off stick than a jerky strip ... and it is the best cured meat ever ... I didn%26#39;t see it on the website, but always try to get some in the store. Besides the steak, I like the regular jerky and the hot jerky. Friends like the Teryaki and Pemmican, but they are a little sweeter than suits my taste ... I like that good old beef and pepper. Stop in the store and get some of this Jerky, you won%26#39;t regret it. TIP of the Day = if you%26#39;re traveling US 75, LeRoy is just a few minutes East on K-58 (look for a bison herd in the pasture on the NW corner of the 75 - 58 Junction, and there%26#39;s a great greenhouse, Arnold%26#39;s, about half-way to town ... both places on right on the highway, you can%26#39;t miss them. It%26#39;s well worth the few minutes%26#39; drive, and if Martin has his way, you%26#39;ll taste his wares and become a Jerky-holic.

No comments:

Post a Comment